Butternut Squash Soup with Homemade garlic Croutons and Crispy Prosciutto
Butternut Squash Soup with Homemade Garlicky Croutons and Crispy Proscuitto
Write a review
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, separated
- 1 whole butternut squash
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 slices of French Bread (1/2 inch thick, and chopped into squares)
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1.Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2.Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds using a spoon.
- 3.Line a baking sheet with tin foil and place the squash, cut-side down, on the sheet. Lightly drizzle the squash with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Place in the oven and roast for 1 to 1½ hours or until you can easily insert a fork or knife into the softened flesh of the squash. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- 4.Once cool, scoop out the flesh of the squash using a spoon and discard the skin.
- 5. In a medium-sized pot, add the remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, salt, pepper and nutmeg and saute until the onions are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Then, add the squash and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- 6. Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a low-medium and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- 7. Using a blender, food processor or immersion blender, puree the mixture until completely smooth. Once smooth, return to the pot to medium-high heat and add the heavy cream. Heat mixture until hot, but not to a boil.
- 8. Add nutmeg and allspice, and salt and/or pepper to taste as needed.
- 9. To make croutons, heat butter and garlic on stove top. Add chopped bread (when fragrant). Place in oven for 10 minutes to crisp.
- 10. Chop the prosciutto and fry on stovetop until slightly crispy.
- 11. Garnish served soup with several croutons and prosciutto.
Together Three Chef http://togetherthreechef.com/
Please follow and like us: