We are in the midst of state testing, and things have been quite hectic! On the other hand we are ready to do back flips because the school year is almost over. I don’t know who is happiest that summer vacation is just a couple weeks away…them or me. 🙂
Despite the chaos, Chef Fresh and Chef Jess have still managed to throw down in the kitchen. Clearly, they don’t care that I have to fit into a bathing suit at some point in the next few weeks. lol I guess I could refrain from piling a man’s portion onto my plate. Who am I kidding? I have absolutely no will power when eating my young chefs’ creations. Tonight’s meal was no different! Chef Jess designed the menu….Grilled thick cut and marinated pork chops served on top of a warm baby asparagus and cherry tomato salad. Yum! 🙂
As usual, the conversation was lively as we prepped the food. This time we spent quite a bit of time talking about the high points and low points of this past school year. Chef Jess quickly added that her favorite moment was being elected School Council President. When asked why, she giggled and said because her grandfather now refers to her as “Madame President.” This is the point in the conversation when Chef Fresh groaned. 🙂 He eventually shared that his high points were getting countless A’s, and making the decision to get baptized on August 30, 2015. I couldn’t agree more! I cried like a baby…..
Both chefs agreed that the worst part of the year was losing our grandmamma. They had an amazing bond with her, and no longer being able to see her has been impactful. We recalled our favorite memories, and laughed out loud. My mom was quite a character, and her energy fills our hearts. In fact…she’s the reason why we each have such a love for cooking.
It’s been quite a year, filled with tears, love, laughter…and cooking. In fact, cooking has been our therapy through it all. Hmmm…. Wait a minute!!! Cooking therapy sounds like a really fun group that I should be running with students. Huh. Let me work on those logistics, but in the mean time….please enjoy Chef Jess’ pork chops and asparagus. ♥
Faith, Family, Food… In that order
Grilled Pork Chops with Basil and Garlic Rub
An easy recipe that is truly a crowd pleaser! The garlic and basil marinade infuses the pork chops with endless flavor notes.
Write a review
For Pork Chops
- •4 bone-in pork loin chops, 3/4-inch thick
- •6 garlic cloves, peeled
- •1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- •2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- •1 teaspoon cumin
- •1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- •1/3 cup ketchup
- •2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- •1 teaspoon coarse salt
- •1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- •1 bunch Baby Asparagus
- •2 pats of butter
- •3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- •2 Shallots
- •juice of 1/2 a lemon
- •1 tsp grated lemon skin
- •1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- •salt and pepper (to taste)
For Pork Chops
- Use a food processor to mince garlic. Add fresh basil, and process until chopped. Add lemon juice, cumin. ketchup, oil, salt, and pepper and process to make a thin wet rub. Spread both sides of pork chops with basil mixture. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes...OR more.
- Light grill and heat. Make sure to oil grate. Grill for 6 minutes per side, and let rest for 3-5 minutes.
- Wash and trim asparagus. Warm butter in a skillet and cook garlic and shallots until fragrant. Add asparagus, lemon juice, grated lemon, salt and pepper. Toss, and cook until asparagus is slightly tender. (approx. 10 minutes) Add sliced cherry tomatoes to warm through.
- Place a mound of the asparagus salad on a plate and top with a pork chop.
Together Three Chef http://togetherthreechef.com/
Please follow and like us: