Chef Fresh was totally in his element tonight! His earbuds were in, and he listened to his favorite hip hop artists as he went to town in the kitchen!!!! As he put it, “I’m sick of meat. Tonight it’s gonna’ be seafood.” He hasn’t been as active in the kitchen since school started because homework has been plentiful. As a result, baby sis has been the one designing the menu. She’s a natural born carnivore who loves a mean burger, chicken, quail, bacon, lamb, goat, pork chops….you get the point. 😉
So, that’s pretty much what we’ve been eating in the past two weeks. That is, until Chef Fresh pumped the brakes. Tonight, he created a Thai inspired dish that was light, but truly satisfying. This required a quick trip to the farmer’s market. You guys know by now that my favorite farmer’s market in metro Atlanta is the DeKalb’s Farmer’s market. But, our after work/school schedule is really tight, and it would be too far to travel. The next alternative was to head out to Sprouts Farmer’s Market. It’s really pretty much a grocery store….but with really fresh produce and seafood.
He ultimately decided to make a seared Cod in a Red Curry Coconut sauce, and served it with Udon noodles. What I love most about watching Chef Fresh cook is how serious he is about what he creates. He has passion, and a very clear flavor palate. He’s also very, very, uber serious about plating and styling his dish. Most of the time, he takes the camera from me so that he can snap the perfect shot of his culinary creation. Sigh… First I’m the sous chef, now I’m the flunky photographer.
The coconut curry sauce was the perfect combination of sweet and spicy, and really complimented the Cod. He even added some shredded carrots and edamame beans for added crunch and color.
I continue to be impressed by my Young Chefs as they explore their creativity in the kitchen. And….I love being able to relax a bit while they handle meals. WINNING!!!! lol
Faith, Family, Food… In that order
Cod with Red Curry Coconut Sauce
Seared Cod in a spicy sweet Red Curry Coconut sauce and served with Udon noodles.
Write a review
- •4 tablespoons coconut oil
- •salt and pepper to taste
- •1 TBSP onion powder
- •3 shallots, diced
- •3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- •2 TBSP finely grated fresh ginger
- •2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- •1 ½ cups chicken broth
- •1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- •1 TBSP sugar
- •4 Cod fillets
- •¼ cup cilantro, plus more for garnish
- •¼ cup green onions, sliced
- •1/4 cup shredded carrots
- •1/2 cup edamame beans
- •1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, and ginger to the pan. Cook until tender and fragrant. Add the curry paste, followed by the chicken broth, coconut milk, salt/pepper, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and allow the curry to reduce by half. Taste for seasoning and add salt, if needed. Also add the cayenne pepper. When reduced, add the cilantro.
- Season the cod fillets lightly with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Heat another skillet with 2 TBSP coconut oil. Sear the fillets on both sides. Make sure not to over cook.
- Distribute the curry sauce in four bowls, and add a handful of cooked Udon Noodles, and a seared cod fillet. Garnish with green onions, shredded carrots, edamame beans, and a few sprigs of cilantro.
- Dial up the spiciness and the sweetness by adjusting the cayenne and sugar to you palate.
Together Three Chef http://togetherthreechef.com/
Please follow and like us: